Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Can You Swim? {{Prompt Answers}}

Can you swim? Who taught you? How old were you when you learned? Tell the story of learning to swim or, if you cannot swim, what it is like not being able to...

"No, I can't swim but am willing to learn by the right person. I don't like swimming in lakes but pools are okay. I'm afraid that fish and stuff will nibble at my feet in the lake. I won't go on a boat because I'm afraid of falling in the water."  -Julie R.

"I learned because of my brother. It was hard to swim; I was used to my brother swimming with me. It's fun to swim by myself and I like it a lot. I was happy that my brother taught me how to swim." - Tanisha.

" Yes, I can swim. I'm not sure who taught me. I don't remember how old I was when I learnt. I think I probably learnt in elementary school.  My friend, Corky, told me about a story when she was a guard at summer camp. It was her day to be the life guard when her friend started to drown. Corky went into the lake to rescue her. She swam out and brought her back to shore. When Corky got home from camp, she told me that story. I asked her *very* seriously if *she* could swim. We still laugh about this today about 40 years later." -Deb G.

"Yes, I can swim. I nearly died when I was 9 years old. It was June 8th, 1992. My sisters and other younger kids were given permission to play inside the swimming pool. I didn't know how to swim at the time. My baby sister, Krista, told my parents I was scuba diving over the drain when for a few minutes the owner was on the phone inside the house and wasn't watching us. 911 was called while both of my parents revived me. I was going in and out. I don't  tell the exact details because it was very scary for me to experience and deal with, but everyone gets warned not to ever leave the kids alone since. I have a fear of water that's so bad I do still have trouble drinking, showering, and touching water - but I went to school in Marshall where they teach their Gym students how to swim and do activities in the pool at the High School. I had to use an aqua belt that was owned by my teacher that does water aerobics. When I was homeless I went swimming with my street family in the BC rivers. I never go alone. I have to be with a buddy or family member that I can trust. There are several people in this team whom doesn't know my story (but we've done things together with my mental health) that I trust. I will and do like lakes and boating. My younger youth from my family, whether my son or nephews, all know I was their body at Family Events they went to as they've grown up. I'm glad to be going swimming soon and, no, I'm not going to be scared. There's a lot of people I know well going along."  -Sarah M.


No comments:

Post a Comment